- How long do dried cinnamon sticks last? The precise answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions —to maximize the shelf life of cinnamon sticks store in a cool, dark cupboard, away from direct heat or sunlight.
- How long do cinnamon sticks last at room temperature? Properly stored, cinnamon sticks will generally stay at best quality for about 3 to 4 years.
- To maximize the shelf life of cinnamon sticks purchased in bulk, and to better retain flavor and potency, store in containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Are dried cinnamon sticks safe to use after the "expiration" date on the package? Yes, provided they are properly stored and the package is undamaged — commercially packaged cinnamon sticks will typically carry a "Best By," "Best if Used By," "Best Before," or "Best When Used By" date but this is not a safety date, it is the manufacturer's estimate of how long the cinnamon sticks will remain at peak quality.
- Do cinnamon sticks ever spoil? No, commercially packaged cinnamon sticks do not spoil, but they will start to lose potency over time and not flavor food as intended - the storage time shown is for best quality only.
- How can you tell if cinnamon sticks are still good? To test whether cinnamon sticks are still potent enough to be effective: Rub or crush a small amount in your hand, then taste and smell them - if the aroma is weak and the flavor is not obvious, the cinnamon sticks should be replaced.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here