- How long does an opened package of string cheese last? The exact answer to that question depends to a large extent on storage conditions - keep string cheese refrigerated at all times.
- To maximize the shelf life of string cheese after opening, tightly seal original packaging or place the cheese in resealable plastic bags or airtight containers.
- How long does an opened package of string cheese last in the fridge? Properly stored, an opened package of string cheese will last for about 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator.
- To further extend the shelf life of opened string cheese, freeze it; when freezing, place string cheese in the freezer before the number of days shown for refrigerator storage has elapsed.
- To freeze string cheese, tightly seal original packaging and place in freezer; if freezing for longer than 2 months, place package inside a heavy-duty freezer bag in order to prevent freezer burn.
- How long does string cheese last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 8 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
- The freezer time shown is for best quality only - string cheese that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely.
- How can you tell if string cheese is bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the cheese: if cheese develops an off odor, flavor or appearance, it should be discarded; if mold appears, discard all of the string cheese.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here