- How long does an opened package of goat cheese crumbles last in the fridge? The exact answer to that question depends to a large extent on storage conditions - keep goat cheese crumbles refrigerated at all times.
- To maximize the shelf life of goat cheese crumbles after opening, keep package tightly sealed.
- Properly stored, an opened package of goat cheese crumbles will last for about 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator.
- Once the package is opened, consume or freeze the goat cheese crumbles within the time shown for refrigeration, even if the "Best By," "Best if Used By," or "Use By" date has not yet been reached.
- How long can goat cheese crumbles be left at room temperature? Bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F; goat cheese crumbles should be discarded if left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature.
- To further extend the shelf life of opened goat cheese crumbles, freeze; when freezing, place goat cheese crumbles in the freezer before the number of days shown for refrigerator storage has elapsed.
- Frozen goat cheese may lose some of its texture and flavor; the thawed cheese will be best suited to cooked dishes, such as sauces, soups and casseroles.
- To freeze goat cheese crumbles, tightly seal original packaging and place in freezer; if freezing for longer than 2 months, place package inside a heavy-duty freezer bag in order to prevent freezer burn.
- How long do goat cheese crumbles last in the freezer? Properly stored, goat cheese crumbles will maintain best quality for about 6 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
- The freezer time shown is for best quality only - goat cheese crumbles that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely.
- How can you tell if goat cheese crumbles are bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the cheese: if cheese develops an off odor, flavor or appearance, it should be discarded; if mold appears, discard all of the goat cheese crumbles.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here