Shelf Life Tips
- How long does an unopened can of lentil soup last? The precise answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions - to maximize shelf life, store in a cool, dry area.
- How long does an unopened can of lentil soup last at room temperature? Properly stored, an unopened can of lentil soup will generally stay at best quality for about 3 to 5 years, although it will usually remain safe to use after that.
- Is unopened lentil soup safe to use after the "expiration" date on the can or package? Yes, provided it is properly stored and the can is undamaged - commercially packaged lentil soup will typically carry a "Best By," "Best if Used By," "Best Before", or "Best When Used By" date but this is not a safety date, it is the manufacturer's estimate of how long the lentil soup will remain at peak quality.
- Storage time shown is for best quality only - after that, the lentil soup's texture, color or flavor may change, but in most cases, it will still be safe to consume if it has been stored properly, the can is undamaged, and there are no signs of spoilage (see below).
- How can you tell if lentil soup is bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the lentil soup: if the lentil soup develops an off odor, flavor or appearance, or if mold appears, it should be discarded.
- Discard all lentil soup from cans or packages that are leaking, rusting, bulging or severely dented.
About Our Authors
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here