Shelf Life Tips
- How long does cooked oatmeal last in the fridge or freezer? The precise answer to that question depends to a large extent on storage conditions - refrigerate oatmeal within two hours of cooking.
- To maximize the shelf life of cooked oatmeal, refrigerate in covered airtight containers or resealable plastic bags.
- Properly stored, cooked oatmeal will last for 4 to 6 days in the refrigerator.
- How long can cooked oatmeal be left at room temperature? Bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40°F and 140° F; oatmeal should be discarded if left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature.
- To further extend the shelf life of cooked oatmeal, freeze it; freeze oatmeal in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
- How long does cooked oatmeal last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for 6 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
- The freezer time shown is for best quality only - cooked oatmeal that has been kept constantly frozen at 0° F will keep safe indefinitely.
- How to tell if cooked oatmeal is bad? The best way is to smell and look at the oatmeal; discard any oatmeal with an off smell or appearance, do not taste the cooked oatmeal first.
About Our Authors
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here