- Store in cool, dry area and keep tightly covered.
- Storage time shown is for best quality only — after that, the molasses' texture, color or flavor may change, but in most cases, it will still be safe to consume if it has been stored properly.
- If molasses develops an off odor, flavor or appearance, it should be discarded for quality purposes; if mold appears, discard the entire product.
- “Best By,” “Best if Used By,” and “Use By” dates on commercially packaged foods sold in the United States represent the manufacturer's estimate of how long the product will remain at peak quality — in most cases, the molasses will still be safe to consume after that date, as long as it has been stored properly and the package is not damaged.
- If mold appears, discard the entire product.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here