- Store in cool, dark cupboard, away from direct heat or sunlight.
- Time shown is for best quality only — commercially dried spices and herbs do not spoil, but they will lose their potency over time and not flavor food as intended.
- To test whether a spice or herb is still potent enough to be effective: Rub or crush a small amount in your hand, then taste and smell it — if the aroma is weak and the flavor is not obvious, the herb or spice should be replaced.
- “Best By,” “Best if Used By,” and “Use By” dates on commercially packaged foods sold in the United States represent the manufacturer’s estimate of how long the product will remain at peak quality — in most cases, the dried spice or herb will still be safe to consume after that date, although it will lose potency over time.
- Freezing is not recommended.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here