- Keep refrigerated and covered in brine contained in package.
- If additional brine is needed, mix one pound of salt (preferably kosher) with one gallon of water — milk may also be used instead of brine.
- If mold appears on the feta cheese, discard it entirely.
- To freeze, drain feta and wrap tightly in plastic freezer wrap or place in heavy-duty freezer bag.
- Frozen feta may lose some of its texture and flavor; the thawed cheese will be best suited to cooked dishes, such as sauces, soups and casseroles.
- Freezer time shown is for best quality only — foods kept constantly frozen at 0° F will keep safe indefinitely.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here