- Keep cheese refrigerated.
- For best results, wrap cheese first in wax or parchment paper and then cover with plastic wrap.
- If mold develops on the surface of the cheese, cut away 1 inch around and below the moldy area and re-cover the cheese in fresh wrap.
- To freeze: cut the cheese into portions no larger than 1/2 pound each, and wrap tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place inside a heavy-duty freezer bag.
- Frozen cheese may become crumbly and lose some of its flavor; the thawed cheese will be best suited to cooked dishes, such as sauces, soups and casseroles.
- Freezer time shown is for best quality only — foods kept constantly frozen at 0° F will keep safe indefinitely.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here