- Pantry time shown is for storage at normal room temperature - if stored in cool (50-60°F) dark area, yams will last about 1 month.
- Store yams in a loosely covered bag to allow for air circulation.
- Do not refrigerate yams, as doing so can alter their taste and flavor during cooking.
- Raw yams do not freeze well; cook before freezing.
- To freeze: (1) Wash, peel and boil yams until tender; (2) Slice or mash yams and sprinkle with a small amount of lemon juice to prevent discoloration; (3) Let cool and place in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
- Freezer time shown is for best quality only - foods kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here