- Keep refrigerated and tightly covered.
- If cheese develops an off odor, flavor or appearance, it should be discarded for quality purposes; if mold appears, discard the entire package.
- To freeze, tightly seal original package and place inside a heavy-duty freezer bag in order to prevent freezer burn.
- Frozen mascarpone may lose some of its texture and flavor; the thawed cheese will be best suited to cooked dishes, such as sauces, soups and casseroles.
- Mascarpone may separate when thawed; to restore texture, whip with a wire whisk while cheese is still cold.
- Freezer time shown is for best quality only — foods kept constantly frozen at 0° F will keep safe indefinitely.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here