How to Store Leftover Halloween Candy
Trick-or-treaters may arrive at your doorstep just one night of the year, but any leftover Halloween candy you’ve got on hand can last a very long time. So just how long does Halloween candy last and what’s the best way to keep it tasty? Here are some handy guidelines:
• Store leftover Halloween candy in a cool, dry area
• For best results, place candy in a sealed airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
• Some storage times for keeping Halloween treats at their best quality*:
• Chocolate-covered candy bars: 10-12 Months
• Peanut butter cups: 6-8 Months
• Hard candies : 1 Year
• Caramels : 6-9 Months
• Jelly beans : 8-10 Months
• Candy Corn: 6-8 Months
• Chewing Gum: 8-10 Months
*Times shown are for quality only — the candy will generally still be safe to consume after that date, as long as it has been stored properly and the package is not damaged. “Best By” and "Use by" dates on commercially packaged candies represent the manufacturers' estimates of how long the candy will remain at peak quality; they are not safety dates.
Check the Keep It or Toss It database to find detailed storage times for more types of candies.
<< Back to Shelf Talk main page